Home » Hayes

Category Archives: Hayes

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Botwell Misson Hall, Golden Crescent, Hayes (Former) now housing

This was a small mission church in the Botwell area of Hayes, which was some way from the medieval parish church. The rapid growth of Botwell rendered it too small and it was replaced by a tin tabernacle in 1913 in Hayes town centre. The current church of St Anselm which opened in 1929, then replaced that building. In 1932 Middlesex County Council adapted and extended the building as Hayes Library which closed in 2010 being replaced by a new library. The gothic windows were replaced, the bellcote removed and three bays and a new porch added at the west end.

Our Lady of the Rosary, West Common Road, Hayes (Roman Catholic)

South of the village centre. It was built as Rosary Hall in 1954 and upgraded to a church in 1956, the architect is unknown. The coloured glass and porch in the main front have since been added.


St Mary the Virgin, Hayes Street, Hayes

In the old village rather than near the station. This is a medieval church to which Gilbert Scott added a north aisle and restoration in 1856-62 and John Oldrid Scott added a south aisle in 1878. Thus only the tower, west wall and part of the chancel remain from the old church. There is a huge memorial to the Hambro banking family in the big churchyard.

 hayes_st_mary200217_54  hayes_st_mary200217_50
 hayes_st_mary200217_48  hayes_st_mary200217_51
 hayes_st_mary200217_3  hayes_st_mary200217_17
 hayes_st_mary200217_21  hayes_st_mary200217_24
 hayes_st_mary200217_33  hayes_st_mary200217_37
 hayes_st_mary200217_46  hayes_st_mary200217_35
 hayes_st_mary200217_44  hayes_st_mary200217_27
 hayes_st_mary200217_9  hayes_st_mary200217_16
 hayes_st_mary200217_25  hayes_st_mary200217_18

Immaculate Heart of Mary, Botwell Lane, Hayes (Roman Catholic)

Sitting just northwest of Hayes town centre, a vast church of 1961 by Burles, Newton and Partners. The large chancel painting is by Pietro Annigioni and the glass is by Goddard and Gibbs.

St Mary, Church Road, Hayes

Not far south of the Uxbridge Road and well over a mile north of the modern Hayes town centre. The chancel is 13th century, the tower and north aisle are 15th century, the porch and south aisle of the 16th century. Inside is a large 16th century St Christopher wall painting and the earliest brass in Middlesex. Restoration by George Gilbert Scott was in 1873.


hayes_st_mary060314_  hayes_st_mary060314_4
 hayes_st_mary060314_2  hayes_st_mary060314_3
 hayes_st_mary060314_9  hayes_st_mary060314_10
 hayes_st_mary060314_5  hayes_st_mary050714_4
 hayes_st_mary050714_12         hayes_st_mary050714_11
 hayes_st_mary050714_10  hayes_st_mary050714_16
 hayes_st_mary050714_15  hayes_st_mary050714_13
 ???????????????????????????????  ???????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????

St Anselm, Station Road, Hayes

In the centre of Hayes’ shopping area. A church of 1926-28 by Hubert C. Corlette. The ceiling decoration is by McKenzie Gill, brother of the notorious Eric.