Home » London Borough of Bexley (Page 2)

Category Archives: London Borough of Bexley

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St James, North Cray

On the edge of attractive parkland bordering the Cray Valley. The church was rebuilt by Edin Nash in 1850-52 (nave) and 1871 (chancel). The tower was added in 1857.

north_cray_st_james220114_2  north_cray_st_james220114_3
 north_cray_st_james220114_5  north_cray_st_james220114_6
 north_cray_st_james220114_4

St Mary, Bexley

The original parish church for Bexley in a wooded churchyard easy of Old Bexley village centre. It dates from the 13th century but was heavily restored by Basil Champneys in 1882-83.

   bexley_st_mary220114_7  bexley_st_mary220114_8
 bexley_st_mary220114_10 bexley_st_mary220114_1
 bexley_st_mary220114_3  bexley_st_mary220114_11

St John Fisher, Thanet Road, Bexley (Roman Catholic)

Close to the centre of Old Bexley, it is a building of 1974-74 by Ivor Day and O’Brien.

bexley_st_john_fisher_rc220114_  bexley_st_john_fisher_rc220114_1
 bexley_st_john_fisher_rc220114_4  bexley_st_john_fisher_rc220114_2

St John the Evangelist, Park Hill Road, Bexley

A large prominent building on the west side of Bexley. The architect was G. Low and it was built in 1881-82.

bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_1 bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_3
 bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_36  bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_7
 bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_16  bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_25
 bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_29  bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_21
 bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_18  bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_17
 bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_24  bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_26
 bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_14  bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_15
 bexley_st_john_the_evangalist220114_11

St James the Great, Penhill Road, Blendon

A suburban hall church of 1937, the chancel is separated from the nave which is effectively a hall area.

       blendon_st_james220114_13 blendon_st_james220114_14
 blendon_st_james220114_1  blendon_st_james220114_11
 blendon_st_james220114_4  blendon_st_james220114_9
 blendon_st_james220114_5  blendon_st_james220114_7
 blendon_st_james220114_8

Our Lady of the Rosary, Burnt Oak Lane, Blackfen (Roman Catholic)

Hidden away behind the houses on Burnt Oak Lane, a church of 1936-37 by Edward John Walters of F.A. Walters and Sons.Aisles and a narthex were added in the 1960s by Walters and Kerr Bate

       blackfen_our_lady_of_the_rosary220114_14 blackfen_our_lady_of_the_rosary220114_15
 blackfen_our_lady_of_the_rosary220114_11  blackfen_our_lady_of_the_rosary220114_2
 blackfen_our_lady_of_the_rosary220114_9  blackfen_our_lady_of_the_rosary220114_7
 blackfen_our_lady_of_the_rosary220114_5  blackfen_our_lady_of_the_rosary220114_3

St Stephen, Depedene Road, Welling (Roman Catholic)

A small church with a big car park, just behind the main street in Welling. It was built in 1935 and designed by Edward John Walters.

welling_st_stephen_rc140114_  welling_st_stephen_rc140114_1
 welling_st_stephen_rc140114_2  welling_st_stephen_rc140114_3