Home » London Borough of Haringey
Category Archives: London Borough of Haringey
Barely a 150 metres from St Bartholomew, this is a former Methodist church of 1872, designed by the Rev. J. N. Johnson, called Trinity Chapel that was acquired in 1970 and extensively redecorated in Orthodox style. Church website
Just off Bounds Green Road between Wood Green and Bowes Park. This is a former Baptist chapel of 1876 that was used by the Catholic Apostolic from 1904 up to the mid 1960s before passing to the Greek Orthodox church. Church website
This is claimed to be the first new build Anglican church in London for 40 years, it came into use in October 2017 and was dedicated in November 2017. The congregation had begun meeting in 2013. It is on the Hale Village Estate on former industrial land between Tottenham Hale station and the River Lea, the masterplan and design for the whole development is by BDP.
Lee Valley Estates, the developers, provided an area on the ground floor of one of the housing blocks on a 500 year lease. This is called the Engine Room and as well as a worship area offers halls, rooms and a cafe. The triptych called “The Eternal Engine” and the Stations of the Cross paintings (15 rather than the traditional 14 as there is an extra called Resurrection) were created by Graeme Mortimer Evelyn. Towards the back of the church is an underfloor full immersion font.
A church of 1831-32 by Lewis Vulliamy, it replaced a chapel of ease and was built on the site of the demolished Ashurst House. In 1878 a chancel was added by G.E. Street. The east window glass of 1954 by Evie Hone replaces a war-damaged Kempe window, whose remains are now in the north chapel east window. The reredos and the redecoration of the sanctuary are by Temple Moore in 1903. There are a few 18th-century monuments from the old chapel.
A small building with a hall to one side. Since 2010 it has been used as a Mission church to St Mary, Tottenham. It was built in 1891 and designed by John W. Couchman and was used as a church until the 1930s, after which it was leased out for secular use. The lease was taken back and the building restored to provide a church near to the Tottenham Hale area.
An early A.W. Blomfield church of 1877. The unusual tower crowns a hill. Church website
A suburban church, by A.J.C Scoles, the south aisle of 1896 and the nave and north aisle of 1902, the wooden porch at the west end a relatively recent addition. Church website