Home » London Borough of Richmond

Category Archives: London Borough of Richmond

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Edmund of Canterbury, Nelson Road, Whitton (Roman Catholic)

West of the town centre, a church of 1961-63 by F.X. Verlade.

whitton_st_edmund261116_35  whitton_st_edmund261116_32
 whitton_st_edmund261116_31  whitton_st_edmund261116_33
 whitton_st_edmund261116_  whitton_st_edmund261116_24
 whitton_st_edmund261116_22  whitton_st_edmund261116_26
 whitton_st_edmund261116_10  whitton_st_edmund261116_15
 whitton_st_edmund261116_9  whitton_st_edmund261116_16
 whitton_st_edmund261116_11  whitton_st_edmund261116_18
 whitton_st_edmund261116_21  whitton_st_edmund261116_25

St Philip and St James, Hounslow Road, Whitton

A small church in a large churchyard at the northern end of Whitton. It is by F.H.Pownall and dates from 1862

whitton_st_philip_st_james261116_6  whitton_st_philip_st_james261116_5
 whitton_st_philip_st_james261116_2  whitton_st_philip_st_james261116_4
 whitton_st_philip_st_james261116_  whitton_st_philip_st_james261116_3
 whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_28  whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_22
 whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_8  whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_25
 whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_11  whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_18
 whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_26  whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_10
 whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_3  whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_6
 whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_2  whitton_st_philip_st_james301116_18

St Augustine of Canterbury, Hospital Bridge Road, Whitton

By a busy roundabout some way south of the town centre. The church of 1958 is by J. Harold Gibbons,the executive architects were Humphreys and Hurst. is dominated by a huge tower.

whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_56 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_2
 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_5  whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_30
 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_34  whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_15
 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_17  whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_19
 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_20  whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_21
 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_22  whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_24
 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_25  whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_14
 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_31  whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_45
 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_48  whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_53
 whitton_st_augustine_of_canterbury261116_50

St Michael and St George, Wilcox Road, Fulwell

Sandwiched between housing and lying between two roads near Fulwell station. It closed in 2000 but was reopened as a church plant in early 2015. At first only the Lady Chapel was used, but a marquee has been erected in the chancel area. The church had been divided into halls at two levels of the west end in the early 1970s. Virtually all the fittings were removed from the church after closure. The designer was J.S. Adkins and the church dates from 1913.

 fulwell_st_michael261116_45  fulwell_st_michael261116_44
 fulwell_st_michael261116_41  fulwell_st_michael261116_42
 fulwell_st_michael261116_43  fulwell_st_michael261116_42
 fulwell_st_michael261116_  fulwell_st_michael261116_1
 fulwell_st_michael261116_4  fulwell_st_michael261116_37
 fulwell_st_michael261116_39  fulwell_st_michael261116_38
 fulwell_st_michael261116_40  fulwell_st_michael261116_36
 fulwell_st_michael261116_29  fulwell_st_michael261116_28
 fulwell_st_michael261116_5  fulwell_st_michael261116_25
 fulwell_st_michael261116_24  fulwell_st_michael261116_16
 fulwell_st_michael261116_26  fulwell_st_michael261116_23
 fulwell_st_michael261116_34  fulwell_st_michael261116_33
 fulwell_st_michael261116_7  fulwell_st_michael261116_17
 fulwell_st_michael261116_19  fulwell_st_michael261116_6
 fulwell_st_michael261116_11  fulwell_st_michael261116_22
 fulwell_st_michael261116_8  fulwell_st_michael261116_9
 fulwell_st_michael261116_10  fulwell_st_michael261116_12
 fulwell_st_michael261116_13  fulwell_st_michael261116_14
 fulwell_st_michael261116_20  fulwell_st_michael261116_18

St James, Popes Grove, Twickenham (Roman Catholic)

South of the town centre in a suburban area. The church was designed by J.S. Hansom in 1885.

twickenham_st_james_rc241116_28 twickenham_st_james_rc241116_27
 twickenham_st_james_rc241116_26  twickenham_st_james_rc241116_1
 twickenham_st_james_rc241116_7  twickenham_st_james_rc241116_23
 twickenham_st_james_rc241116_5  twickenham_st_james_rc241116_2
 twickenham_st_james_rc241116_11  twickenham_st_james_rc241116_16
 twickenham_st_james_rc241116_18  twickenham_st_james_rc241116_20
 twickenham_st_james_rc241116_4

All Saints, Campbell Road, Twickenham

Between two dead end roads south-west of the town centre. It is a large church of 1914 by J.S. Alder.

twickenham_all_saints241116_12  twickenham_all_saints241116_11
 twickenham_all_saints241116_10  twickenham_all_saints241116_8
 twickenham_all_saints241116_3  twickenham_all_saints241116_
 twickenham_all_saints241116_1  twickenham_all_saints241116_2
 twickenham_all_saints241116_4  twickenham_all_saints241116_5
 twickenham_all_saints241116_7  
   
 

St Mark, St Mark’s Road, Teddington

Just off Kingston Road, south-east of the town centre. It is by Cyril Farey and dates from 1938-39

   teddington_st_mark241116_54  teddington_st_mark241116_51
 teddington_st_mark241116_1  teddington_st_mark241116_58
 teddington_st_mark241116_57  teddington_st_mark241116_56
 teddington_st_mark241116_43  teddington_st_mark241116_3
 teddington_st_mark241116_11  teddington_st_mark241116_4
 teddington_st_mark241116_5  teddington_st_mark241116_15
 teddington_st_mark241116_16  teddington_st_mark241116_37
 teddington_st_mark241116_17  teddington_st_mark241116_7
 teddington_st_mark241116_21  teddington_st_mark241116_19
 teddington_st_mark241116_12  teddington_st_mark241116_38