Home » London Borough of Wandsworth

Category Archives: London Borough of Wandsworth

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

The Ascension, Malwood Road, Balham

Not far from Clapham South station near Balham Hill. It dates from 1883-90 and is by Arthur Cawston. It was set up for a toddler group when I visited, and the west end was inaccessible due to heating work being undertaken.

                    balham_the_ascension250117_1  balham_the_ascension250117_2
 balham_the_ascension250117_  balham_the_ascension250117_23
 balham_the_ascension250117_9  balham_the_ascension250117_4
 balham_the_ascension250117_16  balham_the_ascension250117_13
 balham_the_ascension250117_14  balham_the_ascension250117_15
 balham_the_ascension250117_18  balham_the_ascension250117_17
 balham_the_ascension250117_6  balham_the_ascension250117_8
 balham_the_ascension250117_10  balham_the_ascension250117_19
 balham_the_ascension250117_20  balham_the_ascension250117_21
 balham_the_ascension250117_11  balham_the_ascension250117_5
 balham_the_ascension250117_26  balham_the_ascension250117_3
 balham_the_ascension250117_3

Holy Ghost, Nightingale Square, Balham (Roman Catholic)

In a corner of this residential square, some way north of the town centre. It dates from 1897 and is by Leonard Stokes.

balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_29 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_28
 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_  balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_25
 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_1  balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_4
 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_23  balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_15
 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_11  balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_13
 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_14  balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_8
 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_22  balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_24
 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_19  balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_27
 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_7  balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_3
 balham_holy_ghost_rc250117_18

St Luke, Ramsden Road, Battersea

As close to Balham as much as Battersea. It stands out from some way off, above the sea of suburban villas between the two. It was designed by F.W. Hunt and built 1883-89 with the chancel and tower added in 1892 and the baptistery in 1899. The interior is a fine collection of contemporary fittings, including very early electric light fittings of 1903. The Lady chapel was refitted by Martin Travers in 1924-27, he also designed the font cover.. Most of the glass is by Powells.

battersea_st_luke250117_138  battersea_st_luke250117_136
 battersea_st_luke250117_135  battersea_st_luke250117_1
 battersea_st_luke250117_134  battersea_st_luke250117_3
 battersea_st_luke250117_4  battersea_st_luke250117_17
 battersea_st_luke250117_132  battersea_st_luke250117_76
 battersea_st_luke250117_110  battersea_st_luke250117_107
 battersea_st_luke250117_106  battersea_st_luke250117_13
 battersea_st_luke250117_65  battersea_st_luke250117_133
 battersea_st_luke250117_59  battersea_st_luke250117_96
 battersea_st_luke250117_74  battersea_st_luke250117_67
 battersea_st_luke250117_114  battersea_st_luke250117_60
 battersea_st_luke250117_94  battersea_st_luke250117_55
 battersea_st_luke250117_90  battersea_st_luke250117_127
 battersea_st_luke250117_82  battersea_st_luke250117_71
 battersea_st_luke250117_70  battersea_st_luke250117_54
 battersea_st_luke250117_75  battersea_st_luke250117_80
 battersea_st_luke250117_69  battersea_st_luke250117_85
 battersea_st_luke250117_84  battersea_st_luke250117_83
 battersea_st_luke250117_120  battersea_st_luke250117_125
 battersea_st_luke250117_34  battersea_st_luke250117_32
 battersea_st_luke250117_31  battersea_st_luke250117_14
 battersea_st_luke250117_38  battersea_st_luke250117_28
 battersea_st_luke250117_8  battersea_st_luke250117_10
 battersea_st_luke250117_11  battersea_st_luke250117_9
 battersea_st_luke250117_104  battersea_st_luke250117_101
 battersea_st_luke250117_97  battersea_st_luke250117_102
 battersea_st_luke250117_45  battersea_st_luke250117_44
 battersea_st_luke250117_47  battersea_st_luke250117_6
 battersea_st_luke250117_129  battersea_st_luke250117_128
 battersea_st_luke250117_105

St Michael, Cobham Close, Battersea

Very near Wandsworth Common, this is a church of 1881 by William White.

battersea_st_michael250117_6  battersea_st_michael250117_5
 battersea_st_michael250117_1  battersea_st_michael250117_4
 battersea_st_michael250117_2  battersea_st_michael250117_3

St Barnabas, Lavenham Road, Southfields

On the corner of Merton Road, some way east of the underground station. This is a church of 1906-08 by C. Ford Whitcombe. The coloured glass gives the interior a very odd green wash effect on a sunny day.

southfields_st_barnabas170117_45 southfields_st_barnabas170117_3
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_  southfields_st_barnabas170117_4
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_6  southfields_st_barnabas170117_9
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_11  southfields_st_barnabas170117_10
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_23  southfields_st_barnabas170117_30
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_13  southfields_st_barnabas170117_38
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_16  southfields_st_barnabas170117_22
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_29  southfields_st_barnabas170117_7
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_8  southfields_st_barnabas170117_36
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_12  southfields_st_barnabas170117_14
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_32  southfields_st_barnabas170117_43
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_25  southfields_st_barnabas170117_40
 southfields_st_barnabas170117_39

St Michael, Wimbledon Park Road, Southfields

A large street corner church in suburbia north of Southfields underground station. The church is by E.W. Mountford of 1896-97, with the east end added in 1905. The north side is masked by a large extension containing a cafe.

southfields_st_michael170117_37 southfields_st_michael170117_35
 southfields_st_michael170117_33  southfields_st_michael170117_34
 southfields_st_michael170117_  southfields_st_michael170117_1
 southfields_st_michael170117_19  southfields_st_michael170117_31
 southfields_st_michael170117_31  southfields_st_michael170117_12
 southfields_st_michael170117_8 southfields_st_michael170117_27
 southfields_st_michael170117_21  southfields_st_michael170117_25
 southfields_st_michael170117_18  southfields_st_michael170117_14
 southfields_st_michael170117_23  southfields_st_michael170117_3
 southfields_st_michael170117_20

Our Lady and St Peter, Victoria Drive, Wimbledon Park (Roman Catholic)

A suburban church of 1971 by Tomei Mackley & Pound.

wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_57  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_56
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_54
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_2  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_3
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_4  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_9
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_6  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_16
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_18  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_36
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_21  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_24
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_17  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_25
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_12  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_32
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_28  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_47
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_29  wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_49
 wimbledon_common_our_lady_st_peter_rc170117_46

Holy Trinity, West Hill, Wandsworth

Way out of the town centre on the way to Putney Heath. The church is of 1863 and by J.M.K. Hahn with a spire of 1888 added by George Patrick.

wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_9 wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_6
wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_3  wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_1
 wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_4

All Saints, Wandsworth High Street

The town centre parish church. The tower is of 1630, extended with an extra story in 1841. The church is a rebuilding of 1779-80 by William Jupp, with a chancel and nave roof added by E.W. Mountford in 1899-1900.

wandsworth_all_saints170117_49  wandsworth_all_saints170117_46
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_44  wandsworth_all_saints170117_42
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_48  wandsworth_all_saints170117_
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_2  wandsworth_all_saints170117_5
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_16  wandsworth_all_saints170117_26
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_23  wandsworth_all_saints170117_35
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_33  wandsworth_all_saints170117_3
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_8  wandsworth_all_saints170117_7
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_37  wandsworth_all_saints170117_38
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_41  wandsworth_all_saints170117_21
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_32  wandsworth_all_saints170117_9
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_10  wandsworth_all_saints170117_12
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_30  wandsworth_all_saints170117_6
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_13  wandsworth_all_saints170117_19
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_20  wandsworth_all_saints170117_14
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_4

Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St Joseph, Battersea Park Road, Battersea (Roman Catholic)

Next to Battersea Park station. The church is by John Adams of 1879, the original church is now a Lady Chapel by C.A. Buckler 1868.

battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_21  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_19  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_2
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_4  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_3
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_6  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_8
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_10  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_18
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_16  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_12
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_14  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_9