Home » Mill Hill
Category Archives: Mill Hill
Overlooking Mill Hill Broadway nt far from the station. The design is of 1911 by W.D. Caroe but was not executed until 1921-22 under Herbert Passmore’s supervision. It was extended eastwards in 1932 and 1938 and finally the west end and Lady Chapel were built in 1956 to a modified design of Alban Caroe.
A bright white church of 1829 designed by Samuel Hord Page for William Wilberforce, it later (1926) became a parish church. It is in Mill Hill village a mile away and well above the modern town centre. Surprisingly there is a very large churchyard at the rear of the church. Restoration and reordering in 2005-2008 created a hall area, with a small chapel behind the former chancel screen of the church in the crypt. The central area of the east window is contemporary with the church building. New glass by John Reyntiens has been added to commemorate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee (2012) and the Middlesex Regiment (2014), whose colours were laid up here. These colours deteriorated and the central roundel of each has been preserved and framed in the church and the foyer to the crypt.