Home » Newman and Billing

Category Archives: Newman and Billing

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St James, Kidbrooke Park Road, Kidbrooke

On the main road north out of Kidbrooke, this is a church of 1866-167 by Newman and Billing which had to be considerably rebuilt after WW2 damage.

All Saints, New Cross Road, Hatcham (New Cross Gate)

A big church by Newman and Billing dating from 1869-1871

St Andrew, Greyhound Road, Fulham Fields

Built 1873-74 and designed by Newman and Billing. Aston Webb added a Lady Chapel and extended the church a bay westwards. Webb added the sanctuary decoration in 1898-1901. In the 2000s there was a major developement at the west end to add in an impressive three-story arrangement of rooms and offices.

                         
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Mary, Hendon Lane, Finchley

At the southern end of Finchley town centre in the area called Church End. Set back from the road, this is a 15th century church at heart. However there is a small amount of evidence of a Norman building, the 19th century saw Newman and Billing add a south aisle, north aisle clerestory and rebuilt arcade in 1872. The next century saw Charles Nicholson add the outer south aisle in 1932. The chancel was badly damaged in WW2 and was rebuilt and extended by Caroe and Partners.

   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Luke, Chatham Place, Hackney

Tucked away east of the centre of Hackney. It dates from 1872-72 and is a work by Newman and Billing of 1872-73 with the tower and spire added in 1882.

hackney_st_luke211113_3  hackney_st_luke211113_1
 hackney_st_luke211113_4  hackney_st_luke211113_5

St Paul and St Stephen, St Stephen’s Road, Old Ford

Originally by Newman and Billing and dating from 1873-78. It was disused from 1993 to 2003 when it was converted to a variety of uses by Matthew Lloyd Architects who inserted a large multi floored structure into the building retaining the chancel and nave east end as a worship space. At some point the top of the tower was lost.

old_ford_st_paul071113_1 old_ford_st_paul071113_5
 old_ford_st_paul071113_6  old_ford_st_paul071113_10
 old_ford_st_paul071113_11  old_ford_st_paul071113_26
 old_ford_st_paul071113_19  old_ford_st_paul071113_12
 old_ford_st_paul071113_20  old_ford_st_paul071113_22
 old_ford_st_paul071113_23  old_ford_st_paul071113_25
 old_ford_st_paul071113_