Home » Pownall, F.H.
Category Archives: Pownall, F.H.
Set below road level, close to the Piazza area. Designed 1873-74 by F.H. Pownall. It was undergoing east end restoration in October 2016 when the images at the foot of this set with scaffolding were taken. The latest images from April 2018 show the completed work, including the exposed brickwork of the nave.
Its origins are in a mission to the poor and the actual church lies behind the sisters’ and clergy houses. The church was designed by F.H. Pownall in 1865-66, with the west end, chapel and baptistry added 1884-1894 by Maurice B. Adams, this work was not completed until 1939. The whole building needed considerable reconstruction in 1948-50 after war damage. Off the south aisle there is a small Walsingham chapel with extensive wall painting.