Its origins are in a mission to the poor and the actual church lies behind the sisters’ and clergy houses. The church was designed by F.H. Pownall in 1865-66, with the west end, chapel and baptistry added 1884-1894 by Maurice B. Adams, this work was not completed until 1939. The whole building needed considerable reconstruction in 1948-50 after war damage. Off the south aisle there is a small Walsingham chapel with extensive wall painting.