Home » Soane, Sir John
Category Archives: Soane, Sir John
At the end of a short street off Walworth Road and sitting in a large churchyard. The church was designed by Sir John Soane in 1823-25. Ewan Christian made changes at the east end in 1888 and there were repairs after WW2 damage by Thomas F. Ford in 1953 (65 people sheltering in crypt were killed in a 1940 air raid.
Opposite Great Portland Street station.The church was designed 1826-28 by Sir John Soane. Redundant as a church from the 1930s it was used as a book storage facility and then until 2006 it was SPCK offices but has now been converted to an event venue called Number 1 Marylebone with the galleries separated off from the body of the church. The nave area is sometimes used by the evangelical Commonwealth Church.