Home » Southwark
Category Archives: Southwark
This was a major church by G.G. Scott junior built in 1879-1880. Most was destroyed in WW2 but a chapel and some other remains were adapted as a church by Thomas F. Ford in 1957. It became redundant in 1971 and after a period as a recording studio, it is now being used as temporary housing accommodation. The churchyard is a public open space.
Raised to Cathedral status in 1905. It was an Augustinian Priory that was rebuilt in the 13th century, although a small amount of Norman work remains. In the 1818-23 George Gwilt junior restored the chancel and tower and the retrochoir in 1833 with Robert Wallace restoring the transepts in 1830. The easternmost part of the building was lost to road widening on the approach to London Bridge in 1830. The nave of 1890-97 by Arthur Blomfield replaced a building of 1839 that itself had replaced the ruinous medieval nave.
The original building was by A.W.N. Pugin and dated from 1841-48, but was under-financed and never completed to Pugin’s vision. However WW2 brought severe damage leaving only the aisle walls and east end, the rest is a post-war rebuilding by Romilly Craze from 1953 to 1966. Some Pugin fittings survive in the Blessed Sacrament chapel and the Knill chantry is by E.W. Pugin. Craze’s design added a clerestory and a new Lady Chapel.