Raised to Cathedral status in 1905. It was an Augustinian Priory that was rebuilt in the 13th century, although a small amount of Norman work remains. In the 1818-23 George Gwilt junior restored the chancel and tower and the retrochoir in 1833 with Robert Wallace restoring the transepts in 1830. The easternmost part of the building was lost to road widening on the approach to London Bridge in 1830. The nave of 1890-97 by Arthur Blomfield replaced a building of 1839 that itself had replaced the ruinous medieval nave.