Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 46)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Christ Church, Hampstead Square, Hampstead

Built 1851-52 by S. W. Daukes. Ewan Christian added an outer north aisle in 1881.

   
   

St Barnabas (former), Kentish Town Road, Kentish Town (now Cathedral of St Andrew, Greek Orthodox)

Built 1884-85 by Ewan Christian. It became a Greek Orthodox church in 1957 and a Cathedral in 1970. In contrast to the plain exterior the interior walls and ceilings are completely decorated with colourful and impressive paintings of Biblical scenes. Although I was able to take a set of interior photographs the priest present requested that they are not published.

 
 

St Mary Brookfield, Dartmouth Park Hill, Dartmouth Park

High up the hill, a church by William Butterfield from 1869-75, the chancel was added in 1881 by W.C. Street.

 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St John the Baptist (former), Highgate Road, Kentish Town (now Christ Apostolic)

A nedieval chapel was replaced by this church designed by James Wyatt in 1782-84. Its Palladian appearance was drastically changed by J.H. Hakewill who altered it to a Neo-norman building in 1843-45, adding the east end and towers to replace a portico facing the street. It was declared redundant in 1993, was derelict and used for raves before being taken over by the Nigerian Christ Apostolic church.

 
   
 

St Anargyre Cosmas and Damian, Gordon House Road, Kentish Town (Greek Orthodox)

Just off Highgate Road, a small church from the late 19th century, which became a Greek Orthodox church in 1967 having been built as a Catholic Apostolic church.

   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Benet and All Saints, Lupton Street, Kentish Town

A large church in suburban streets. It was designed by Cecil Hare, who had worked with Bodley. The east end is of 1908 and the nave 1928, replacing one of 1884-85.

 
   
   
            
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Luke, Osney Crescent/Caversham Road, Kentish Town

Built 1867-69, the first church by Basil Champneys, with a tall tower at the east end. It was declared redundant in 1991 but since 2011 it has housed an evangelical CoE congregation

 
   
 

St Paul, Camden Square, Camden

A combined hall, offices and worship area built in the 1950s to replace a church destroyed in WW2. The worship area is a small area at one end, it can be opened out into the hall. The window is made up from sections of a window in the old church.

      
   
   
   
 

The Good Shepherd, Minchley Road, Tottenham

A small building with a hall to one side. Since 2010 it has been used as a Mission church to St Mary, Tottenham. It was built in 1891 and designed by John W. Couchman and was used as a church until the 1930s, after which it was leased out for secular use. The lease was taken back and the building restored to provide a church near to the Tottenham Hale area.

St Alfege, Greenwich High Road, Greenwich

Right in the town centre, and built after the old church roof collapsed in 1710. The architect was Nicholas Hawksmoor and the church was built in 1711-1714.  John James encased the tower and added a steeple in 1730.