Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 58)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

Holy Trinity, West Hill, Wandsworth

Way out of the town centre on the way to Putney Heath. The church is of 1863 and by J.M.K. Hahn with a spire of 1888 added by George Patrick.

wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_9 wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_6
wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_3  wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_1
 wandsworth_holy_trinity170117_4

All Saints, Wandsworth High Street

The town centre parish church. The tower is of 1630, extended with an extra story in 1841. The church is a rebuilding of 1779-80 by William Jupp, with a chancel and nave roof added by E.W. Mountford in 1899-1900.

wandsworth_all_saints170117_49  wandsworth_all_saints170117_46
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_44  wandsworth_all_saints170117_42
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_48  wandsworth_all_saints170117_
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_2  wandsworth_all_saints170117_5
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_16  wandsworth_all_saints170117_26
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_23  wandsworth_all_saints170117_35
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_33  wandsworth_all_saints170117_3
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_8  wandsworth_all_saints170117_7
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_37  wandsworth_all_saints170117_38
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_41  wandsworth_all_saints170117_21
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_32  wandsworth_all_saints170117_9
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_10  wandsworth_all_saints170117_12
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_30  wandsworth_all_saints170117_6
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_13  wandsworth_all_saints170117_19
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_20  wandsworth_all_saints170117_14
 wandsworth_all_saints170117_4

Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St Joseph, Battersea Park Road, Battersea (Roman Catholic)

Next to Battersea Park station. The church is by John Adams of 1879, the original church is now a Lady Chapel by C.A. Buckler 1868.

battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_21  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_19  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_2
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_4  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_3
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_6  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_8
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_10  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_18
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_16  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_12
 battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_14  battersea_our_lady_of_mount_carmel_and_st_joseph170117_9

All Saints, Prince of Wales Drive, Battersea

Opposite Battersea Park, it is by David Gill in 1976-78, replacing a  church of 1882-1883 on an adjacent site. Some glass, the cockerel from the top of the tower, memorials and a font cover remain from the old church. The sanctuary area can be divided from the rest of the church to form a hall that is used as a nursery during the week.

 

St Saviour, Battersea Park Road, Battersea

Around half way along the road, this is a small church of 1870-71 by E.C. Robins. Inside it was split in 1986 with the eastern half as a worship space and the western half as a hall and kitchen, with a horizontal division leaving an upper floor in use as a nursery. There are plans (2024) to further  reorder the lower area to restore an entrance to the main road into the nave.

Christ Church, Battersea Park Road, Battersea

At the western end of the road. The church is by T.F. Ford and dates from 1957 replacing a war-damaged 19th-century church. Some fittings by Martin Travers were brought from the sold church of St Stephen nearby. Like several other Ford churches, it contains murals by Hans Feibusch.

St Stephen (former), Battersea Park Road, Battersea now Assemblies of the First Born (Pentecostal)

Towards the western end of this long road on the corner of Battersea Bridge Road. It is by William White and dates from 1886-87. It was declared redundant and reopened as an Assemblies of the First Born church in 1978.

Sacred Heart, Trott Street, Battersea (Roman Catholic)

In the older part of Battersea towards the river, but hidden away in housing. The church is by F.A. Walters from 1892 with a modern extension with halls and offices overlooking a garden.

  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_47 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_49
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_3  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_1
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_5  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_48
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_36  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_35
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_45  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_40
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_6  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_8
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_11  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_10
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_19  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_26
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_15  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_30
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_12  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_9
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_23  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_24
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_42  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_37
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_39  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_16
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_21  battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_27
 battersea_sacred_heart_rc170117_33

St Peter, Plough Road, Battersea

A 19th-century church was replaced, following a fire in 1970, by a new building in 1974. This, in turn, was demolished in 2014 and a new building was opened in November 2018 as part of a housing development. Some use is also still made of a nearby community centre which served as the church during construction. The pictures of the building under construction and the temporary premises were taken in January 2017

.

battersea_st_peter170117_8  battersea_st_peter170117_3
 battersea_st_peter170117_4  battersea_st_peter170117_7
 battersea_st_peter170117_6  battersea_st_peter170117_2
 battersea_st_peter170117_  battersea_st_peter170117_1

St Bartholomew (Former), Wycliffe Road, Battersea now St Nectarios Greek Orthodox

Designed by G.H. Fellowes Prynne and built in 1901. The church is entered along a narrow side passage and then through the attached hall of 1891. It was declared redundant in 1972 and then leased in 1973 and sold in 1995 to the Greek Orthodox church.