Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 60)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Andrew, Garratt Lane, Earlsfield

A large red brick church close to Earlsfield station. It is by local architect E.W. Mountford and dates from 1889-90.

  earlsfield_st_andrew050117_12  earlsfield_st_andrew050117_6
 earlsfield_st_andrew050117_8  earlsfield_st_andrew050117_1
 earlsfield_st_andrew050117_11 earlsfield_st_andrew050117_14
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_ earlsfield_st_andrew250117_27
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_23  earlsfield_st_andrew250117_45
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_10  earlsfield_st_andrew250117_9
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_37  earlsfield_st_andrew250117_50
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_22  earlsfield_st_andrew250117_8
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_2  earlsfield_st_andrew250117_13
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_1  earlsfield_st_andrew250117_44
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_26  earlsfield_st_andrew250117_24
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_25  earlsfield_st_andrew250117_41
 earlsfield_st_andrew250117_3

Aldis Street Mission (former), Aldis Street, Tooting

In a side street near St George’s Hospital it was built in the 1870s, there is hardly any documentation for this building, but it seems it was sold after the late 1970s and is now used by the Pilgrims Union Pentecostal Church of God.

 tooting_aldis_street_mission_former201216_3  tooting_aldis_street_mission_former201216_2
 tooting_aldis_street_mission_former201216_1  tooting_aldis_street_mission_former201216_

St Mary, Keble Street/Wimbledon Road, Summerstown

In a large area of grounds, it is by G. Pinkerton, dating from 1903-04. The interior is byzantine rather than gothic with some of the nave aisles barrel vaulted. There is an abundance of painted decoration on the ceilings and four large wall paintings. It retains an early 20th-century evangelical sanctuary arrangement. The western baptistry has been converted into a war memorial. The east window is late Morris & Co glass.

St Augustine, Broadwater Road, Tooting

Just off the main Upper Tooting Road.  It is by H.P.Burke-Downing and dating from 1929-31.

tooting_st_augustine201216_8  tooting_st_augustine201216_6
 tooting_st_augustine201216_5  tooting_st_augustine201216_1
 tooting_st_augustine201216_  tooting_st_augustine201216_4
 tooting_st_augustine050117_27  tooting_st_augustine050117_23
 tooting_st_augustine050117_18  tooting_st_augustine050117_1
 tooting_st_augustine050117_5  tooting_st_augustine050117_7
 tooting_st_augustine050117_11  tooting_st_augustine050117_12
 tooting_st_augustine050117_22  tooting_st_augustine050117_13
 tooting_st_augustine050117_6  tooting_st_augustine050117_21
 tooting_st_augustine050117_19  tooting_st_augustine050117_15
 tooting_st_augustine050117_20  tooting_st_augustine050117_26

St Swithun Mission (Former), Kellino Street, Tooting

A mission church to All saints, Tooting but only a couple of hundred metres away from St Augustine’s church. It was built in 1932, but was sold after WW2 and has been a boys club,a Gurdwara and a martial arts club. Currently it is unused.

 tooting_st_swithun_mission_former201216_5 tooting_st_swithun_mission_former201216_4
 tooting_st_swithun_mission_former201216_2  tooting_st_swithun_mission_former201216_1
 tooting_st_swithun_mission_former201216_  tooting_st_swithun_mission_former201216_3

St Mary Magdalene, Trinity Road, Wandsworth Common

At the north end of Trinity Road, facing the street. It dates from 1887-88 and is by B.E. Ferrey, a chancel was added in 1900 and a north aisle in 1906 both by Cole and Adams. Inside the outer parts of the north and south aisles have been partitioned off as offices and halls. The rood screen is a WW1 memorial. In the rooms behind the church are some images of an unexecuted decorative scheme for the chancel.

Holy Trinity, Trinity Road, Upper Tooting

Part way up the hill from Tooting Bec towards Wandsworth Common. The church is by Anthony Salvin from 1854-55. The tower and north transept were added by Benjamin Ferrey in 1860. He widened the north aisle in 1889. The south aisle that had been widened in 1893 is now divided off as a hall. The wall paintings of 1906-13 by Richard Castle are awaiting restoration.

upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_53  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_1  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_33
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_37  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_48
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_43  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_45
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_47  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_38
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_29  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_16
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_3  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_4
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_6  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_5
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_19  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_31
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_14  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_17
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_18  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_22
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_20  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_34
 upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_50  upper_tooting_holy_trinity201216_49

St Anselm, Balham High Road, Tooting Bec (Roman Catholic)

An unusual design of 1932 by J.B. Mendham mixing classical, byzantine and gothic influences.

tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_39  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_35
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_37
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_1  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_3
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_5  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_15
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_11  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_21
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_22  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_28
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_33  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_29
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_12  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_13
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_4  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_14
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_7  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_8
 tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_19  tooting_bec_st_anselm_rc201216_27

All Saints, Franciscan Road, Tooting

At the top of a hill , this is the church for the Totterdown estate. It sits in a spacious area of green and is a large church of 1904-06 by Temple Moore. The chancel has a number of furnishings collected by the first incumbent and disliked by Moore, so they were fitted by Sir Walter Tapper.

tooting_all_saints050117_4 tooting_all_saints201216_10
 tooting_all_saints201216_4  tooting_all_saints201216_2
 tooting_all_saints201216_9  tooting_all_saints050117_1
 tooting_all_saints201216_6  tooting_all_saints201216_7
 tooting_all_saints201216_5  tooting_all_saints201216_3
 tooting_all_saints050117_67  tooting_all_saints050117_60
 tooting_all_saints050117_34  tooting_all_saints050117_12
 tooting_all_saints050117_16  tooting_all_saints050117_14
 tooting_all_saints050117_20  tooting_all_saints050117_24
 tooting_all_saints050117_64  tooting_all_saints050117_30
 tooting_all_saints050117_27  tooting_all_saints050117_52
 tooting_all_saints050117_45  tooting_all_saints050117_62
 tooting_all_saints050117_26  tooting_all_saints050117_7
 tooting_all_saints050117_17  tooting_all_saints050117_66
 tooting_all_saints050117_41  tooting_all_saints050117_58
 tooting_all_saints050117_6

St Nicholas, Church Lane, Tooting

Tooting parish church, close to St Boniface, it sits in a large churchyard. The building is of 1833 by T.W. Atkinson. A chancel was added in 1873-75 and transepts in 1889, both by J.P. St Aybyn. The interior has been subdivided and the chancel, transepts and east end of the nave form the worship space, the rest is hall and offices. There are a few monuments from the older parish church that this building replaced.

    tooting_st_nicholas201216_26 xxtooting_st_nicholas201216_31
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_1  tooting_st_nicholas201216_32
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_33  tooting_st_nicholas201216_2
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_3  tooting_st_nicholas201216_18
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_6  tooting_st_nicholas201216_17
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_21  tooting_st_nicholas201216_19
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_4  tooting_st_nicholas201216_25
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_5  tooting_st_nicholas201216_22
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_11  tooting_st_nicholas201216_8
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_10  tooting_st_nicholas201216_7
 tooting_st_nicholas201216_20