Home » Butterfield, William
Category Archives: Butterfield, William
In narrow streets between the Thames and the station, this is Rotherhithe’s old parish church. The medieval church was replaced over the period 1714-1747 by this classical building attributed to John James and Lawrence Dowbiggin (Tower). A restoration was carried out in 1876 by William Butterfield. All the interior pictures are taken from the west end through glass as only the narthex is open.
Set well back from the road between Stanmore and harrow Weald. This church started as a chancel of 1842 designed by J.T. Harrison. Nave and aisles were added by William Butterfield in 1845. In 1889-92 he took down the north aisle and added a new gabled aisle and tower. A west gallery was added in the late fifties and the west window blocked. Removal of paint in 2013 uncovered a painted and tiled decorative scheme by Butterfield in the chancel.
The ancient parish church of Tottenham. The tower is 14th century with an 18th century top. The south porch is late 14th century, the south aisle late 15th century. The north aisle dates from 1816 and the east end of 1875-1777 by William Butterfield. The nave roof and much of the decoration is by Butterfield too.
A large church at the end of the High Street in Chipping Barnet town centre. A medieval church was greatly extended with a large nave, chancel, tower and south aisle added by William Butterfield in 1871-75. The fleche was added by J.C. Traylen in 1893, he also designed the pulpit, font and bench ends.
A late William Butterfield church of 1883. It sits on a hilltop above Enfield and near the Ridgeway. The chancel was decorated in 1897 with designs by Nathaniel Westlake and Charles Buckeridge. It was restored in 2012 and presents a great contrast with the rather plain nave. Much of the stained glass was designed by Butterfield and made by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
One of William Butterfield’s major works from 1856-62, it was badly war damaged and rebuilt in a simplified design, apart from the tower and west end, by Adrian Scott 1959-61. The Clergy House remains from Butterfield’s building. The huge mural and Stations of the Cross were painted by Hans Feibusch. The Mackonochie chapel at the west end was added by C.H.M. Mileham in 1890