Home » Dulwich
Category Archives: Dulwich
Serving the southern part of the Dulwich college estate this is a church of 1867-1875 by Banks and Barry (Charles Barry junior). The western bays of the nave being added after the completion of the rest of the church, these attached the tower which had been freestanding to the rest of the building. It required restoration after WW2 damage, however, the 1872 painting of the trial and stoning of St Stephen by Sir Ernest Poynter survived.
Built as the chapel of the College of God’s Gift for the actor Edward Alleyn in 1613-1616. It was designed by John Benson. As well as serving as a chapel for the Alleyn Foundation Schools and almshouses it has long held public services. The south aisle and gallery were added in 1823 by George Tappen. Many of the current furnishings were added by Joseph Clarke from 1850. The reredos is by W.D. Caroe from 1912. The font is by James Gibbs and dates from 1729. The tower was rebuilt in 1866 by Charles Barry. The chapel was re-ordered in 1976 with the screen lowered.
Visible across the Alleyn’s School playing fields, this is a large church of 1995 by L. Malcic of HOK . It replaced a previous church of 1892-1895 destroyed by fire in 1992. All that remains is a small section of wall in the associated hall and office area and the font. The spire is transparent and sits in the centre of the roof over the centrally placed altar. The interior is tall and light with intricate glass by Caroline Swash and a large modern organ. There is also a side chapel near the entrance from the foyer area.