Home » Hawksmoor, Nicholas

Category Archives: Hawksmoor, Nicholas

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St John Horsleydown, Fair Street/Tower Bridge Road, Bermondsey

This was a church of 1727 by Nicholas Hawksmoor and John James. It was largely destroyed in WW2 but the lower parts of the walls form the base of Nasmith House used by the London City Mission. It is still surrounded by its churchyard, now a public open space.

St Alfege, Greenwich High Road, Greenwich

Right in the town centre, and built after the old church roof collapsed in 1710. The architect was Nicholas Hawksmoor and the church was built in 1711-1714.  John James encased the tower and added a steeple in 1730.

 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Peter, Westminster – Westminster Abbey

Possibly the best known church in Britain. Its £18 admission charge and ban on interior photography mean that it will not feature in detail here. Building of the current nave started in 1246 and by 1272 the chancel and four bays of the nave were complete. The west end was Norman, but the 14th century saw the towers encased. Th late 14th and 15th centuries saw the nave extended west in much the same style as 100 + years earlier. The lady chapel (henry VII’s chapel) was added in 1503-1510. Since then there have been numerous restorations and reconstructions. Nicholas Hawksmoor rebuilt the west towers in 1735-45. During the 19th century work was done by George Gilbert Scott, John Loughborough Pearson, J Oldrid Scott and J.T. Micklethwaite. In the 20th W.R. Lethaby, Walter Tapper, Charles Peers, Stephen Dykes Bower, Peter Foster and Donald Buttress carried out work.

westminster_abbey080514_  westminster_abbey080514_4
 westminster_abbey080514_8  westminster_abbey240514_2
 ???????????????????????????????  westminster_abbey080514_7
 westminster_abbey080514_5  westminster_abbey240514_

St Luke, Old Street (Former)

Built in 1727-33 and designed by John James and Nicholas Hawksmoor. It was made redundant in 1960 and left as a ruin. In 2000-02 it was renovated to become a music education centre and concert hall for the London Symphony orchestra called LSO at St Luke’s.

old_street_st_luke_former211113_1  old_street_st_luke_former211113_4
 old_street_st_luke_former211113_5  old_street_st_luke_former211113_6
 old_street_st_luke_former211113_8

St George, Bloomsbury Way, Holborn

By Nicholas Hawksmoor 1716-31. After years of neglect it was recently restored to near its original state and orientation after changes by G.E. Street in 1870-71. George the 1st tops the tower

 
 holborn_st_george_the_martyr151211_  
    
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St George the Martyr, Queen Square, Holborn

Built 1705 by Arthur Tooley, repaired by Nicholas Hawksmoor 1718-20 and gothicized by S.S. Teulon 1867-68. Part is now a cafe so it is accessible daily.

holborn_st_george151211_3 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_32
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_27 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_28
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_31  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_26
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_9  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_25  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_24
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_20  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_23
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_4  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_7
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_17  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_15
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_16  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_21
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_5  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_6
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_11  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_3
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_22  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_14
 holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_19  holborn_st_george_queen_square300916_13

St Anne, Limehouse

One of Nicholas Hawksmoor’s major east end churches. It was built between 1714 and 1725. Gutted by fire in 1850 it was restored by  Philip Hardwick and John Morris in 1850-51, Philip .C. Hardwick  (son of the earlier Hardwick) 1856-57. In 1891 Arthur Blomfield undertook a remodelling of the chancel. In 1983-93 it was restored under Julian Harrap

   limehouse_st_anne200914_37  limehouse_st_anne190412_5
 limehouse_st_anne200914_30  limehouse_st_anne190412_3
 limehouse_st_anne190412_1  limehouse_st_anne190412_
 limehouse_st_anne200914_1  limehouse_st_anne200914_6
 limehouse_st_anne200914_4  limehouse_st_anne200914_27
 limehouse_st_anne200914_26  limehouse_st_anne200914_25
 limehouse_st_anne200914_19  limehouse_st_anne200914_24
 limehouse_st_anne200914_13  limehouse_st_anne200914_17
 limehouse_st_anne200914_2