Home » London Borough of Hillingdon
Category Archives: London Borough of Hillingdon
Botwell Misson Hall, Golden Crescent, Hayes (Former) now housing
This was a small mission church in the Botwell area of Hayes, which was some way from the medieval parish church. The rapid growth of Botwell rendered it too small and it was replaced by a tin tabernacle in 1913 in Hayes town centre. The current church of St Anselm which opened in 1929, then replaced that building. In 1932 Middlesex County Council adapted and extended the building as Hayes Library which closed in 2010 being replaced by a new library. The gothic windows were replaced, the bellcote removed and three bays and a new porch added at the west end.
Chapel (former), Mount Vernon Hospital, Rickmansworth Road, Northwood
Mount Vernon Hospital was build as a Consumption (TB) hospital in 1902-1904 and designed by Frederick Wheeler, In 1905 this free standing arts and crafts style chapel was added a short way from the main building. After disuse in the 1960s it was converted to the Fowler Scott Cancer Research Library in 1988 by Bill Miller Associates, before becoming the home to the Gray Cancer Research Laboratory’s lecture theatre. They vacated it in 2009 and it has been disused since. The wooden screen with a list of chaplains and the opening details was visible through some damaged windows at the south-east end in May 2021, by Early June 2021 the windows had been repaired and covered with a metal mesh. It is listed Grade2* but its future use is not decided. Descriptions of the interior suggest that, at least, originally it had sumptuous fittings.
Nearby at one end of the main hospital block is a building labelled as the viewing chapel which in style suggests that it was another slightly earlier chapel, one stained glass window is visible from outside. A few images are at the end of this set. It would seem likely that this was a mortuary chapel rather than a worship space.
St George, Heathrow Airport
St Dunstan, Cranford
Inside Cranford Park and just in Hillingdon Borough (other Cranford churches are in Hounslow Borough).The tower is 15th century, the nave of 1710. There have been restorations by J.L. Pearson and Martin Travers and one just completed in March 2013, the church is open most Saturdays. It was once next to the a great house but all that now remains are the stables. The rural charm is spoilt by the M4 thundering past a few yards away.
St Nicholas, Raynton Drive, Yeading
St Edmund, Yeading Lane, Yeading
St Raphael, Morrison Road, Yeading (Roman Catholic)
St Giles, Ickenham
In the centre of a village now engulfed by suburbia. It is a small 14th century church, whose nave was extended westwards in 1958 by E.C. Butler in a totally traditional style. There is a wide brick aisle of 1575-80 by William Say and just west of that a tiny mortuary chapel of the mid 17th century.
St Mary, Church Hill, Harefield
One of outer London’s most fascinating churches. It lies south of the village centre down a long driveway. The church is mainly 14th century, with a 13th century chancel.The tower and north aisle are 16th century. However the interior is the a main feature, there are plaster ceilings from the 18th century by Henry Keene, a chancel crammed full of monuments and raised so high above the nave to accommodate a mausoleum that the three decker pulpit hardly shows above its floor. Most monuments are to the Newdigate family from the 15th to the 19th century.