Home » London Borough of Kensington (Page 2)

Category Archives: London Borough of Kensington

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Francis of Assissi Community Church, Dalgarno Way, North Kensington

Built in 1935 but closed and then reopened in 2004. The frontage hides a rather drab exterior.

north_kensington_st_francis210416_2  north_kensington_st_francis210416_4
 north_kensington_st_francis210416_6  north_kensington_st_francis210416_5

St Pius X, St Charles Square, North Kensington

Built in 1908 as the chapel for St Charles College by P.A. Lamb and R. O’B. North. Now a parish church whose dull exterior hides a vibrant interior.

north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_32
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_1  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_13
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_16  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_12
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_11  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_8
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_10  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_6
 north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_20  north_kensington_st_pius_x_rc210416_18

St Michael, Ladbroke Grove

Just north of the Westway and Ladbroke Grove station, this is a curious looking church of 1870-71 by James Edmeston Junior and J.S. Edmeston.

north_kensington_st_michael210416_1 north_kensington_st_michael210416_2
 north_kensington_st_michael210416_6  north_kensington_st_michael210416_7
 north_kensington_st_michael210416_5  north_kensington_st_michael210416_4
 north_kensington_st_michael210416_3

St Barnabas, Addison Road, Kensington

Designed 1825, but built 1827-29 to designs by Lewis Vulliamy.

kensington_st_barnabas_addison_road210416_  kensington_st_barnabas_addison_road210416_1
 kensington_st_barnabas_addison_road210416_2

The Assumption, Kensington Square (Roman Catholic)

Just behind the old Barker’s store on the High Street. It dates from 1870-75 and is by George Goldie. All pictures are from the west end which is locked off behind a glass screen.

 kensington_assumption_rc210416_1  kensington_assumption_rc210416_16
 kensington_assumption_rc210416_2  kensington_assumption_rc210416_3
 kensington_assumption_rc210416_12  kensington_assumption_rc210416_10
 kensington_assumption_rc210416_11  kensington_assumption_rc210416_9
 kensington_assumption_rc210416_5  kensington_assumption_rc210416_7

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Kensington Church Street (Roman Catholic)

One of Giles Scott’s last buildings dating from 1954-59.  A large building just up the road from St Mary Abbots.

kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_  kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_26
 kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_23  kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_1
 kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_22  kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_13
 kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_4  kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_21
 kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_18  kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_12
 kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_5  kensington_our_lady_of_mt_carmel210416_8

St John with St Andrew, Park Walk, Chelsea

By Sir Arthur Blomfield & Sons in 1912.

chelsea_st_andrew170316_1  chelsea_st_andrew170316_2
 chelsea_st_andrew170316_4

Christ Church, Christchurch Street, Chelsea

Built 1838 by Edward Blore with the west and east ends added by W.D. Caroe in 1900-1001

   chelsea_christ_church170316_3  chelsea_christ_church170316_1
 chelsea_christ_church170316_

All Saints, Cheyne Row, Chelsea

The medieval church was badly bombed in 1941 and restored in 1949-58 by Walter Godfrey. The brick built exterior dates from 1667-74, eastern parts are 13th and 14th century. The church is packed with monuments including one to St Thomas More

chelsea_old_church170316_  chelsea_old_church170316_59
 chelsea_old_church170316_62  chelsea_old_church170316_60
 chelsea_old_church170316_61  chelsea_old_church170316_58
 chelsea_old_church170316_55  chelsea_old_church170316_46
 chelsea_old_church170316_15  chelsea_old_church170316_7
 chelsea_old_church170316_6  chelsea_old_church170316_1
 chelsea_old_church170316_2  chelsea_old_church170316_57
 chelsea_old_church170316_48  chelsea_old_church170316_25
 chelsea_old_church170316_45  chelsea_old_church170316_51
 chelsea_old_church170316_26  chelsea_old_church170316_42
 chelsea_old_church170316_50  chelsea_old_church170316_30
 chelsea_old_church170316_40  chelsea_old_church170316_38
 chelsea_old_church170316_4  chelsea_old_church170316_49
 chelsea_old_church170316_3  chelsea_old_church170316_5
 chelsea_old_church170316_9  chelsea_old_church170316_11
 chelsea_old_church170316_10  chelsea_old_church170316_13
 chelsea_old_church170316_16  chelsea_old_church170316_18
 chelsea_old_church170316_20  chelsea_old_church170316_21

St Philip, Earls Court Road, Kensington

Halfway between Kensington and Earl’s Court. Designed by T. Johnson and built in 1857-58. In 1863 the south aisle was widened and a south transept added. The interior has been much divided leaving a smaller worship area in the nave and north aisle. The reredos now in the north aisle is by Walter Tapper. The pulpit has been moved back behind the altar and the east and west window glass are displayed against lightboxes.

       earls_court_st_philip170316_16  earls_court_st_philip170316_15
 earls_court_st_philip170316_12