Originally a religious community founded in 1147, it has had several homes, including the building that is now St Katherine’s Danish church by Regent’s Park. It moved to this site, the bombed site of St James, Ratcliffe, after WW2. R.E. Enthoven designed new buildings including a chapel in 1950-52. The chapel was refurbished in 2003-2004 by PRP Architects. The refurbishment included enlarged windows and a new window at the east end. The furnishings are a mixture of new and medieval ones brought from previous chapels.
Built in 1762-63 and attributed to Joel Johnson. Since 1998 it has been cared for by the Historic Chapels Trust. It retains most of its 18th century furnishings
Built 1973-76 to replace a war damaged church, now a Montessori nursery just outside the south eastern (St Mark’s) gates of Victoria Park.
Built in 1756 and designed by Joel Johnson. Mostly destroyed in WW2 but the tower was reconstructed in 1964 with flats built on to it in a sympathetic style in the 1990s.
Immediately behind the former anglican church of St John it is a large classical church of 1877-79 designed by F.W. Tasker.
A very large church, with a truncated west tower. It was designed by W.W. Wardell and built 1856 and repaired by Arthur Sterrett following war damage.
Facing a busy main road, a church of 1925 by A.J. Sparrow. The wooden statue of Christ the Steersman was designed to be seen from the Thames.
A landmark at the southern tip of the Isle of Dogs. It was designed by Frederick Johnstone and built 1852-54, new vestries and restoration by J.E.K and J.P. Cutts in 1906-07.
A floating church in the shadow of the Canary Wharf development. It has been in place since 2003 outside the Docklands Museum.
On the main road along the west side of the island it was built in 1999-2000 by David Aitken to replace a 19th century church.