Home » Purley
Category Archives: Purley
The original Purley parish church on the main road in the valley. It is by James Fowler and dates from 1877-78. In recent years a large extension of halls, offices and other rooms has been attached with the church now entered through a bay in its north aisle wall. Inside the orientation has been moved to be southwards with the chancel seated as an extension of the main worship area.
At the peak of a steep hill, this church was designed by George Lowe and Partners in 1959, it replaced a church of 1932 which still exists as a hall (and church in cold weather) hidden behind this church. The last few pictures show the interior of this building which had replaced another small early 20th century building. The lady chapel has a painting by John Hayward.
On a hillside on the west side of the Brighton Road. There are two buildings here. On the higher ground is what is now the church hall built in 1929 and designed by S. Jupp. Below it is a church of 1954 designed By D.E. Nye and Partners. This is on the site of a church by N.F. Cachemaille-Day which was left incomplete at the outbreak of WW2 and largely demolished to enable this building to be constructed. A window and plaque commemorate two churches in Greenwich destroyed in the war and whose compensation sums paid for this building. The hall is shown in the last 2 images.