On a hillside on the west side of the Brighton Road. There are two buildings here. On the higher ground is what is now the church hall built in 1929 and designed by S. Jupp. Below it is a church of 1954 designed By D.E. Nye and Partners. This is on the site of a church by N.F. Cachemaille-Day which was left incomplete at the outbreak of WW2 and largely demolished to enable this building to be constructed. A window and plaque commemorate two churches in Greenwich destroyed in the war and whose compensation sums paid for this building. The hall is shown in the last 2 images.
St Swithun, Grovelands Road, Purley
Architects & Places
Make the pictures bigger
Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.
- St David’s Home Chapel, Castlebar Hill, Ealing, W5 1TE
- Botwell Misson Hall, Golden Crescent, Hayes (Former) now housing
- Cathedral of St Mary (Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church Of The East), Westminster Road, Hanwell
- St John the Divine (Former), Bedford Hill, Balham now Burlington School of English.
- Grail Community Chapel (former), Waxwell Lane, Pinner now SPEC Retreat Chapel (Roman Catholic)