In the grounds of Barking Abbey (see the gatehouse tower below) at one end of Barking town centre. Originally a chapel it became a parish church around 1300. It is quite a large medieval church with both an inner and outer north aisle. The font is 17th century with a cover from the 19th century that was attractively decorated in the 20th century. There were a couple of restorations by C.J. Dawson around the turn of the 20th-century. There are many impressive 17th and 18th century monuments all around the church.