The Charterhouse was originally a Carthusian Priory, it was replaced by a Mansion that became a boy’s school and is now an almshouse. The complex of buildings right on the edge of the City of London includes a chapel. The chapel was created from the Priory’s 14th-century chapter house in the early 17th century. A classical north aisle was added in 1612-1614. An outer aisle was added in 1824. Many of the furnishings were added in the early 17th century. There is a large monument to Thomas Sutton by Nicholas Stone completed in 1615.