Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 38)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Francis, Lebus Street, Tottenham Hale

This is claimed to be the first new build Anglican church in London for 40 years, it came into use in October 2017 and was dedicated in November 2017. The congregation had begun meeting in 2013. It is on the Hale Village Estate on former industrial land between Tottenham Hale station and the River Lea, the masterplan and design for the whole development is by BDP.

Lee Valley Estates, the developers, provided an area on the ground floor of one of the housing blocks on a 500 year lease. This is called the Engine Room and as well as a worship area offers halls, rooms and a cafe. The triptych called “The Eternal Engine” and the Stations of the Cross paintings (15 rather than the traditional 14 as there is an extra called Resurrection) were created by Graeme Mortimer Evelyn. Towards the back of the church is an underfloor full immersion font.

   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Augustine, Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith (Roman Catholic)

Just south of the Hammersmith flyover, a church of 1915 by Robert L.Curtis. The painted Stations of the Cross were being re-lettered during my visit.

                    
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Thomas of Canterbury, Rylston Road, Fulham (Roman Catholic)

The church and churchyard are surrounded by houses built after the church. It is one of A.W.N. Pugin’s few London churches and dates from 1847-48.  A 2010 reordering has reinstated 19th century style decoration and seating and created an outer north passage beyond the north aisle.

 

              
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

St Peter, Varna Road, Fulham,

A backstreet church designed by Arthur Billing in 1882-83. It was divided in 1978 by Biscoe and Stanton leaving the worship area as the eastern two-thirds of the nave and chancel.

                        
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

All Saints, Church Gate, Fulham

At the north end of Putney Bridge facing across to Putney Parish Church, this is the old parish church of Fulham on the edge of Bishop’s Park. The tower dates from 1440 but the rest was rebuilt in 1880-81 by Arthur Blomfield. Inside there is a large collection of monuments from before the rebuilding and much, mainly Heaton, Butler and Bayne, glass. Some medieval pieces remain together with an older Wailes window and a later one by Margaret H.E. Rope.

   
   
 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

St Dionis, Parsons Green

Facing the east side of the Green this is a church of 1884-86 Ewan Christian. It contains the font and pulpit from the lost city church of St Dionis Backchurch. The Font cover, screen, rood, former reredos and several painted memorials are by Martin Travers. The parish hall over the road is a former mission church of 1876 by A. Billing.

   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

Christ Church, Studdridge Street, Fulham

Closing off the view looking south down Quarrendon Street, this is a church of 1902-03 by J.E.K Cutts and J.P. Cutts. The west end has been divided off vertically and horizontally for halls, kitchens and a store-room for the food bank. The former chancel screen is now at the east end. Arts and Crafts glass by Karl Parsons is now hidden away in the store-room at the west end. There are also several later Morris and Co windows.

 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St John, North End Road, Walham Green

A short way north of Fulham Broadway tube station. The church is by J.H. Taylor and dates from 1827-28. In 1893 E.P. Warren removed the galleries. A major reordering in 1985-89 by Broadbent, Hastings, Reid and New saw much the west end divided off vertically and horizontally into halls and many furnishings removed. A small day chapel has been created at the west end of the building. In 2018 there will be another reordering aimed at restoring a more traditional church like atmosphere. The west end (Jan 2018) is currently concealed behind scaffolding and a trompde d’oeil hoarding.

            
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Stephendale Road, Fulham (Roman Catholic)

In the Sands End area of Fulham. It is by T.H.B. Scott and Benedict Williamson and built in 1922.

            
   
   
   
   
   

St Matthew, Wandsworth Bridge Road, Fulham

A replacement for a Blomfield church of 1883-95. It was built in 1998-2000.