Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 56)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Mark, Church Road, Biggin Hill

Built 1957-59 incorporating much material from the redundant church of All saints, North Peckham. The vicar Vivian Symons transported much of the brickwork and nave roof to Biggin Hill. He also created the etched glass and much of the plate.

biggin_hill__st_mark200217_70 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_69
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_4  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_5
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_7  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_65  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_40
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_42  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_41
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_21  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_62
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_39  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_18
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_15  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_10
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_9  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_26
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_61  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_57
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_55  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_56
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_51  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_53
 biggin_hill__st_mark200217_54  biggin_hill__st_mark200217_52

St Francis of Assisi, Willett Way, Petts Wood

East of the station in a pleasantly wooded churchyard. The church dates from 1934-35 and was designed by Geoffrey Mullins.

petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_60  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_59
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_2 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_25  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_6
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_5  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_7
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_24  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_30
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_11  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_36
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_14  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_19
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_32  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_57
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_56  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_37
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_39  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_54
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_18  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_10
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_13  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_17
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_9  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_29
 petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_27  petts_wood_st_barnabas070217_41

St James the Great, Lakeswood Road, Petts Wood (Roman Catholic)

Designed by W.R. Duck, a member of the congregation and built in 1962-63 to serve this smart suburb. The narthex was added in 1992. The previous church of 1939 remains as the parish hall at the east end of the church.

petts_wood_st_james_rc070217_7 petts_wood_st_james_rc070217_6
 petts_wood_st_james_rc070217_5  petts_wood_st_james_rc070217_1
 petts_wood_st_james_rc070217_  petts_wood_st_james_rc070217_2
 petts_wood_st_james_rc070217_4  petts_wood_st_james_rc070217_3

St Andrew, Lower Road, Orpington

South of St Mary Cray this is a church of 1892-93 by Hide and Newberry.

south_cray_st_andrew070217_6 south_cray_st_andrew070217_5
 south_cray_st_andrew070217_3  south_cray_st_andrew070217_4
 south_cray_st_andrew070217_1  south_cray_st_andrew070217_

Our Lady of the Crays, High Street, St Mary Cray (Roman Catholic)

At the opposite (southern) end of the High Street to the Anglican parish church. The present building replaced a church, called St Joseph, that had been built in 1959 by Donald Plaskett Marshall. All that remains of that building is the tower which has a new cap replacing a 60 foot high structure supporting a cross. Even at its current height the tower is a significant landmark. The current building supersedes both that and St Peter & St Paul at St Paul’s Cray which had been built after WW2 and was sold for a housing development in 2008. The new building is by Tomei and Mackley Partnership and was built in 2010-2011. The glass at the west end was apparently brought from India and installed in 2014.

st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_36  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_3
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_35
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_34  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_27
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_30  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_18
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_7  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_9
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_19  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_24
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_25  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_28
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_22
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_11  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_10
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_12  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_17
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_16  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_13
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_32  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_29
 st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_14  st_mary_cray_our_lady_of_the_crays_rc070217_20

St Barnabas, Rushet Road, St Paul’s Cray

High up above the Cray in the middle of a large estate, over a mile from St Paulinus. The striking copper-roofed building is by E.F. Starling and dates from 1962-64. The adjacent hall was built as a hall church in 1953 and used as a church until the completion of the current building.

 st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_23  st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_21
 st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_13  st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_16
 st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_19  st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_18
 st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_  st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_22
 st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_2  st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_4
 st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_9  st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_7
 st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_6  st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_12
 st_paul_cray_st_barnabas070217_11

St Paulinus (Former), Main Road, St Paul’s Cray now Redeemed Christian Church of God

There are few medieval Pentecostal churches but this is one. It was the medieval parish church of St Paul’s Cray but was made redundant in 1977 and has been a centre for the elderly and offices before its current incarnation. Although heavily restored in 1856-61 it is at its heart a Saxon and Norman building.

st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_11 st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_8
 st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_3  st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_4
 st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_  st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_7
 st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_5  st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_6
 st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_1  st_paul_cray_st_paulinus070217_9

St Mary, High Street, St Mary Cray

In the old village away from the railway station, though very close to the viaduct this is a heavily restored 13th and 14th century parish church. Restorations took place in 1861-63, 1876 and 1895, the first by Edwin Nash.

 st_mary_cray_st_mary070217_12 st_mary_cray_st_mary070217_11
 st_mary_cray_st_mary070217_7  st_mary_cray_st_mary070217_4
 st_mary_cray_st_mary070217_2  st_mary_cray_st_mary070217_9
 st_mary_cray_st_mary070217_1  st_mary_cray_st_mary070217_
 st_mary_cray_st_mary070217_10

St Mark, Westmoreland Road, Bromley

Round the corner from Bromley South station. The church was built in 1897-98 by Evelyn Hellicar, the vicar’s son. WW2 damage left only the tower and arcades standing. It was rebuilt in 1953 by David Nye and Partners using plans by T.F.W. Grant.

                        bromley_st_mark030217_ bromley_st_mark030217_2
 bromley_st_mark030217_33  bromley_st_mark030217_16
 bromley_st_mark030217_11  bromley_st_mark030217_7
 bromley_st_mark030217_8  bromley_st_mark030217_14
 bromley_st_mark030217_10  bromley_st_mark030217_15
 bromley_st_mark030217_38  bromley_st_mark030217_26
 bromley_st_mark030217_19  bromley_st_mark030217_24
 bromley_st_mark030217_22  bromley_st_mark030217_28
 bromley_st_mark030217_29  bromley_st_mark030217_5
 bromley_st_mark030217_18  bromley_st_mark030217_12
 bromley_st_mark030217_36  bromley_st_mark030217_31
 bromley_st_mark030217_32  bromley_st_mark030217_40

St Mary the Virgin, High Street, Downe

Above a road junction in the village centre. A medieval church restored in 1879 by Daniel Bell. Postwar glass by Evie Hone from 1950 in the east window and by local craftsman Keith Coleborn in the south wall from 1973 and 1986

downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_43  downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_38
 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_40 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_45
 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_4  downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_26
 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_28  downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_33
 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_37  downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_29
 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_23  downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_2
 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_7  downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_19
 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_36  downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_16
 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_20  downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_12
 downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_9  downe_st_mary_magdalene030217_10