Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 59)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Philip (former), Queenstown Road, Battersea now St. Mary Debre Tsion Kidist Mariam Ethiopean Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Built for the Park Town Estate by James Knowles junior in 1869-70. It has been used by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church for many years and since redundancy in 2007 they have had sole use, owning the freehold since 2010. The interior was photographed after a service when the air was full of incense which may make some images somewhat misty.

 

St Vincent de Paul, Altenberg Gardens, Clapham Common (Roman Catholic)

Surrounded by villas a little way north of the Common towards Battersea. The church dates from 1906-07 by Claude Kelly

clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_25  clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_24
 clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_26 clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_
 clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_3  clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_5
 clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_4  clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_15
 clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_8  clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_10
 clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_12  clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_13
 clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_16  clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_21
 clapham_common_st_vincent_de_paul_rc050117_18

St Barnabas, Clapham Common Northside

The south side is open to the Common in this church of 1879 by W. Bassett Smith. The west end is now divided off into halls at ground and first floor level. This virtually hides the large west window.

clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_35  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_31
 clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_4
 clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_13  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_23
 clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_27  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_28
 clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_11  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_8
 clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_10  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_15
 clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_14  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_5
 clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_7  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_24
 clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_29  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_20
 clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_19  clapham_common_st_barnabas050117_16

St Mark, Battersea Rise, Battersea

A William White church of 1872-74, now with offices added on the western and southern sides. There has been some reordering inside but many of the listed fittings such as the font, pulpit and roof shields have been retained. There is also a large amount of naturalistic carving on the capitals. Under the chancel, there is a vaulted crypt.

St Paul, St John’s Hill, Battersea (former) now Abacus Ark Nursey School

The spire is prominent on the hillside. The church is by H.E. Coe and dates from 1868. It has been cleaned and refurbished and is now a nursery school.

wandsworth_st_paul_former050117_9 wandsworth_st_paul_former050117_7
 wandsworth_st_paul_former050117_5  wandsworth_st_paul_former050117_
 wandsworth_st_paul_former050117_1  wandsworth_st_paul_former050117_4
 wandsworth_st_paul_former050117_3

St Mary Magdalene, East Hill, Wandsworth (Roman Catholic)

On an island site between busy roads.two sides are hidden by  buildings, whereas the eastern side faces the former Huguenot burial ground. It was designed by Lawrence Butler and built in 1905. A gallery and baptistery were added by Riley & Glanfield in 1959.

wandsworth_st_mary_magdalene_rc050117_5  wandsworth_st_mary_magdalene_rc050117_3
 wandsworth_st_mary_magdalene_rc050117_1  wandsworth_st_mary_magdalene_rc050117_
 wandsworth_st_mary_magdalene_rc050117_2

St Anne, St Ann’s Hill, Wandsworth

The very tall tower can be seen from some way off. It dates from 1820-24 and is by Robert Smirke. It sits on a slope at the top of a large green space. The chancel was added in 1896 by E.W. Mountford, there was also work by William White in 1891.

 

St Mary (former), Garratt Lane, Wandsworth now Community Centre and Sports Club

Just south of Wandsworth town centre. It dates from 1904-05 and designed by Godfrey Pinkerton. It was declared redundant in 1949 and used as a parish community centre until sold on in 2000.

wandsworth_st_mary_former050117_4  wandsworth_st_mary_former050117_
 wandsworth_st_mary_former050117_1  wandsworth_st_mary_former050117_3
 wandsworth_st_mary_former050117_5

St John the Divine, Garratt Lane, Earlsfield

A short way north of St Gregory this is a small church of 1915 By Greenaway and Newberry. It was built to be temporary but a century later it is still in use. The crucifixion sculpture is by Ghisha Koenig.

earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_12  earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_13
 earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_ earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_1
 earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_3  earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_2
 earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_4  earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_9
 earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_6  earlsfield_st_john_the_divine050117_8

St Gregory, Garratt Lane, Earlsfield (Roman Catholic)

Behind an archway off Garratt Lane a little to the north of Earlsfield Station. It was built in 1957 by Lawrence Shattock replacing an earlier building.

 earlsfield_st_gregory_rc050117_8  earlsfield_st_gregory_rc050117_4
 earlsfield_st_gregory_rc050117_3  earlsfield_st_gregory_rc050117_1
 earlsfield_st_gregory_rc050117_6