Home » Brooks, James
Category Archives: Brooks, James
This church replaces the ancient parish church which was sited over the road and of which the tower base survives. The rest of that church had been rebuilt in 1813 but was structurally unsound and replaced by the current church by John Brown of Norwich in 1839-1841. From outside it is a rather typical design of its time but inside a complex decorative scheme of the late 19th century has been restored. James Brooks lengthened the chancel, added chancel aisles and a wooden vault between 1875 and 1888.
Set in the middle of Turnham Green a little way off the main road, this is an early Gilbert Scott building, in fact by Scott and Moffatt and dating from 1841-43. A longer chancel was added by James Brooks in 1887. The nave interior has been divided in two with only the chancel retaining older furnishings.
Designed by James Brooks in 1887 and built 1889-91. In 1991 the church was divided horizontally and vertically with the western end becoming halls and a nursery, leaving the transepts and chancel as the church space. The Lady Chapel at the eastern end of the south transept was also removed. Older halls to the south-east were replaced by housing. The interior is still typically Brooks and contains a huge baldacchino by Ernest Geldart and glass designed by Henry Holliday.