Home » Caroe and Passmore
Category Archives: Caroe and Passmore
St Oswald, Green Lane, Norbury
St Philip, Beech Road, Norbury
In a residential area south of Norbury station. The chancel and eastern part of the nave date from 1900 (architect unknown), the western parts were added in 1929-1935 by Caroe and Passmore. A new entrance was cut into a bay of the south aisle in 1995, displacing two windows to the wooden porch area in the church.
Cathedral of Holy Cross and St Michael, Golders Green Road, Golders Green (Greek Orthodox)￼
At the northern end of the town centre. This was built as St Michael’s C of E church in 1913 by J.T. Lee, with a west end added by Caroe and Passmore in 1924-25. The tower was added in 1960 by James Barrington-Baker. Shared by a Greek Orthodox congregation from 1970 it was closed as an Anglican church in 1979.
St Michael and All Angels, Flower Lane, Mill Hill
Overlooking Mill Hill Broadway nt far from the station. The design is of 1911 by W.D. Caroe but was not executed until 1921-22 under Herbert Passmore’s supervision. It was extended eastwards in 1932 and 1938 and finally the west end and Lady Chapel were built in 1956 to a modified design of Alban Caroe.
St Peter le Poer, Friern Barnet
St John the Divine (Former), Mawney Road, Romford now Triumphant Chapel
North west of Romford town centre is the former parish church of St John. It was designed in a byzantine style by W.D. Caroe in 1927 but only the sanctuary was built, it was completed in 1932 by Herbert Passmore with a west wall by Laurence King in 1979. It was declared redundant in 2010 and was in the hands of The Redeemed Christian Church of God on my first visit in 2013. In January 2020 it is used by Triumphant Chapel/Christ Heritage Assembly based in Barking and the grounds are padlocked.
St Peter (Former), Cranley Gardens, Kensington (now St Yeghiche Armenian Apostolic Orthodox)
From the office of the developer of the area, C.J. Freake 1866-67, built for the Church of England and made redundant in 1973. The Armenian Apostolic Orthodox church bought it in 1988 and it was consecrated for their use in 2001. W, D. Caroe added the vaulted north chancel chapel, west gallery, and organ case in 1907-1909. Caroe & Passmore made changes to the chancel in 1922. The nave pews have been replaced by ex-cinema/theatre seats.