Home » Clarke, J.
Category Archives: Clarke, J.
Built as the chapel of the College of God’s Gift for the actor Edward Alleyn in 1613-1616. It was designed by John Benson. As well as serving as a chapel for the Alleyn Foundation Schools and almshouses it has long held public services. The south aisle and gallery were added in 1823 by George Tappen. Many of the current furnishings were added by Joseph Clarke from 1850. The reredos is by W.D. Caroe from 1912. The font is by James Gibbs and dates from 1729. The tower was rebuilt in 1866 by Charles Barry. The chapel was re-ordered in 1976 with the screen lowered.
A small church high up in a large churchyard overlooking High Elms Country Park. It is a short walk from the centre of Farnborough village. The church was rebuilt in 1641 after storm damage. A small north aisle survives from the older building, the chancel is by Joseph Clarke from 1886 and the tower was rebuilt in 1838 bu a Mr Blackshaw.
Attractively sited in a large churchyard next to Beddington Park and Carew Manor. Much of it dates from the 14th century with an 1867-69 restoration by Joseph Clarke, with the dormers added in 1907 bu H.P. Burke-Downing. Apart from the new north aisle, added by Clarke, most walls are covered in 19th-century paintings and stencilling. There is an organ case with early William Morris decoration and a huge doom altarpiece, now at the west end of the north aisle, by Clayton and Bell. There are a number of misericords in the choir stalls.
High on a ridge above the town centre and visible from a long way off. The interior is unusual as it is a double naved church with a chancel lined up 50/50 with each nave so the arcade dies into the apex of the chancel arch. The building is Norman with much 15th century enlargement and a restoration of 1862 by J.Clarke.The stained glass is mainly of 1953-55 by Hugh Easton.