Home » Craze, Romilly
Category Archives: Craze, Romilly
The original building was by A.W.N. Pugin and dated from 1841-48, but was under-financed and never completed to Pugin’s vision. However WW2 brought severe damage leaving only the aisle walls and east end, the rest is a post-war rebuilding by Romilly Craze from 1953 to 1966. Some Pugin fittings survive in the Blessed Sacrament chapel and the Knill chantry is by E.W. Pugin. Craze’s design added a clerestory and a new Lady Chapel.
In suburbia north of the centre of Golders Green. This was built as St Barnabas C of E church in 1915 by J.S. Alder. The chancel and Lady chapel were added in 1932-34 by Ernest Shearman. The nave was rebuilt in 1962 by Romilly B. Craze after war damage. It became a Coptic church in 1996 and this was when the west porch was added. The interior shots appear rather murky owing to the amount of incense coming from a service in the lady Chapel.
Replacing the old church, a large building of 1868-72 by George Gilbert Scott, the tower and spire added 1872-79. The church was bombed in WW2 and received a new ceiling by Romilly Craze in 1955, much of the glass by Clayton & Bell survived although the backgrounds in the aisles and clerestory have been removed.
In quiet suburbia, a church of 1939 by Milner & Craze with the west end and tower added in 1965 by William Mulvey. The side chapel window is by Alfred Fisher.