Home » Holborn
Category Archives: Holborn
Chapel, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, Holborn
This is the chapel of the world-famous children’s hospital in central London. The chapel was designed by Edward Barry in 1876 as part of the original buildings. It was moved in 1994 to be next to new buildings from 1991-1993. It is richly decorated with marble, alabaster, wall paintings and stained glass by Clayton & Bell, all combine to create a stunning miniature church. It cannot be seen from outside the hospital but is behind and to the left of the main reception.
Gray’s Inn Chapel, Gray’s Inn, Holborn
An insignificant-looking exterior, it was rebuilt by Edward Maufe after WW2 damage. Pre-war glass survives as it was taken out for protection and includes windows by Selwyn Image and Christopher Whall.
Lincoln’s Inn Chapel, Lincoln’s Inn, Holborn
One of the four inns of court. The chapel was rebuilt in 1619-1623 to designs by the mason John Clark. The east window and roof were renewed by James Wyatt in 1795-1796, Samuel Salter reconstructed the roof in 1882 and added the west bay and frontage.
Holy Trinity (Former), Kingsway, Holborn now facade of office development.
Christ the King, Gordon Square, Bloomsbury
Built on a Cathedral scale as the greatest Catholic Apostolic Church by Raphael Brandon in 1853. It became the University of London chaplaincy until 1992 and was used only occasionally except for the small eastern English chapel used by the Anglo-Catholic Forward in Faith group. In 2017 the main body of the church was taken on by an Anglican church plant called Euston Church. The building still belongs to the Catholic Apostolic Church.
|Pictures to the right and below this point are
of the English Chapel which is entered
separately from the church. The three pictures
above show the cloister that connects the two,
although there is no access through due to
St Alban, Brooke Street, Holborn
One of William Butterfield’s major works from 1856-62, it was badly war damaged and rebuilt in a simplified design, apart from the tower and west end, by Adrian Scott 1959-61. The Clergy House remains from Butterfield’s building. The huge mural and Stations of the Cross were painted by Hans Feibusch. The Mackonochie chapel at the west end was added by C.H.M. Mileham in 1890
St Anselm and St Cecilia, Kingsway, Holborn, WC2A 3JA (Roman Catholic)
St Etheldreda, Ely Place, Holborn (Roman Catholic)
A 13th century chapel restored in 1874-79 by J Young and 1935 by Giles Gilbert Scott. Prior to its purchase by a Roman catholic Order in 1873 it had been used as a Welsh chapel. The crypt was repaired in 1968-70 by Charles Blakeman. The east window is by Joseph Nuttgens, 1952, the rest by Charles Blakeman 1952-58 (side windows) and 1964 (west window).