Home » Nicholson, Charles
Category Archives: Nicholson, Charles
Southend is at the southern end of Catford and this church is on a spacious corner site. In fact, there are two buildings, the older is a former proprietary chapel of 1824 now used as a hall, and the newer the built part of what would have been a huge building by Sir Charles Nicholson dating from 1928. The nave was only partly built and is finished by a permanent “temporary” wall. In 1977 a corona was installed in the centre of the church and the chancel screened off as vestries. However, this change has now been reversed and a high altar restored with a traditional eastward alignment. The north chapel is a memorial chapel to the Forster family who owned the land on which the church is built. This includes a very late recumbent effigy tomb to a son killed at the end of the first world war.
At the southern end of Finchley town centre in the area called Church End. Set back from the road, this is a 15th century church at heart. However there is a small amount of evidence of a Norman building, the 19th century saw Newman and Billing add a south aisle, north aisle clerestory and rebuilt arcade in 1872. The next century saw Charles Nicholson add the outer south aisle in 1932. The chancel was badly damaged in WW2 and was rebuilt and extended by Caroe and Partners.
Joined to West Drayton, but north of the railway line and firmly in the main shopping area stands this church of two parts. The nave is by Nicholson & Corlette 1897-98, the north aisle was the original church and is by G.G. Scott dating from 1858-59. This aisle is now separated off to form a hall area, with a modern extension and the chancel area forms a small Lady Chapel.