Home » Scott, John Oldrid
Category Archives: Scott, John Oldrid
In the old village rather than near the station. This is a medieval church to which Gilbert Scott added a north aisle and restoration in 1856-62 and John Oldrid Scott added a south aisle in 1878. Thus only the tower, west wall and part of the chancel remain from the old church. There is a huge memorial to the Hambro banking family in the big churchyard.
Possibly the best known church in Britain. Its £18 admission charge and ban on interior photography mean that it will not feature in detail here. Building of the current nave started in 1246 and by 1272 the chancel and four bays of the nave were complete. The west end was Norman, but the 14th century saw the towers encased. Th late 14th and 15th centuries saw the nave extended west in much the same style as 100 + years earlier. The lady chapel (henry VII’s chapel) was added in 1503-1510. Since then there have been numerous restorations and reconstructions. Nicholas Hawksmoor rebuilt the west towers in 1735-45. During the 19th century work was done by George Gilbert Scott, John Loughborough Pearson, J Oldrid Scott and J.T. Micklethwaite. In the 20th W.R. Lethaby, Walter Tapper, Charles Peers, Stephen Dykes Bower, Peter Foster and Donald Buttress carried out work.
The church of the former St John’s Priory. The building has been much changed over the years and is no longer a parish church, but forms part of the Order of St John Museum. The church is a rebuilding of 1721-23 of the chancel of the priory, itself rebuilt in 1955-58 by Seeley and Paget after war damage. Below it is the crypt which was built in two stages, the west end is mid 12th century and the east end and transepts date from about 1185. It was restored in 1900-01 and 1904-07 by John Oldrid Scott.