The church of the former St John’s Priory. The building has been much changed over the years and is no longer a parish church, but forms part of the Order of St John Museum. The church is a rebuilding of 1721-23 of the chancel of the priory, itself rebuilt in 1955-58 by Seely and Paget after war damage. Below it is the crypt which was built in two stages, the west end is mid 12th century and the east end and transepts date from about 1185. It was restored in 1900-01 and 1904-07 by John Oldrid Scott.
Home » Clerkenwell » St John, St John’s Square, Clerkenwell
St John, St John’s Square, Clerkenwell
Architects & Places
Make the pictures bigger
Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.
- A Church Near You (CofE)
- Churches of Britain and Ireland
- Ecclesiological Society
- Essex Churches
- Greater London Churches – Flickr group
- Hertfordshire Churches
- Historic Churches of Greater London Facebook Group
- London Historians
- London Historians' Blog
- Lost Churches of London – Facebook Group
- National Churches Trust
- South London Church Reviews
- Southwark Diocese church finder