Home » Tottenham
Category Archives: Tottenham
This is claimed to be the first new build Anglican church in London for 40 years, it came into use in October 2017 and was dedicated in November 2017. The congregation had begun meeting in 2013. It is on the Hale Village Estate on former industrial land between Tottenham Hale station and the River Lea, the masterplan and design for the whole development is by BDP.
Lee Valley Estates, the developers, provided an area on the ground floor of one of the housing blocks on a 500 year lease. This is called the Engine Room and as well as a worship area offers halls, rooms and a cafe. The triptych called “The Eternal Engine” and the Stations of the Cross paintings (15 rather than the traditional 14 as there is an extra called Resurrection) were created by Graeme Mortimer Evelyn. Towards the back of the church is an underfloor full immersion font.
A small building with a hall to one side. Since 2010 it has been used as a Mission church to St Mary, Tottenham. It was built in 1891 and designed by John W. Couchman and was used as a church until the 1930s, after which it was leased out for secular use. The lease was taken back and the building restored to provide a church near to the Tottenham Hale area.
A 1906 church by J.E.K. and J.P. Cutts some way west of Tottenham High Road. Church website
A typical large church of 1885-87 by J.E.K. Cutts. Church website
In the shadow of Spur’s White Hart Lane stadium. It is under a block of flats and was designed by Biscoe and Stanton in 1971-77. It presents two different faces to the street, depending on which street you are in. Church website.
The ancient parish church of Tottenham. The tower is 14th century with an 18th century top. The south porch is late 14th century, the south aisle late 15th century. The north aisle dates from 1816 and the east end of 1875-1777 by William Butterfield. The nave roof and much of the decoration is by Butterfield too.
Prominent above a major road junction. It was built in 1939 and designed by Seely and Paget. The interior has a gallery carried on a bridge across the centre of the nave. Church website