Home » Articles posted by zoothorn (Page 40)

Author Archives: zoothorn

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Andrew, Greyhound Road, Fulham Fields

Built 1873-74 and designed by Newman and Billing. Aston Webb added a Lady Chapel and extended the church a bay westwards. Webb added the sanctuary decoration in 1898-1901. In the 2000s there was a major developement at the west end to add in an impressive three-story arrangement of rooms and offices.

                         
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Alban, Margravine Road, Fulham

Opened as a mission from nearby St Andrew, it was closed for a while, but re-opened as a plant from Holy Trinity Brompton. The church dates from 1895-97 and was designed by Aston Webb and E.Ingress Bell, however it was never completed and lacks a chancel. It also lost a number of fittings after closure.

       
   
   
   
   
   
   
 
   

St Mary Mission Hall (Former), North End Road, West Kensington now offices

A former mission church to St Mary, opened in 1895 but now converted to offices. The upper level was the church space and the lower floor were classrooms. It was used by St Mary as the parish church from the WW2 bombing until the new church was open in 1961.

 
 

St Peter, Black Lion Lane, Hammersmith

Hammersmith’s oldest church in a pleasant, but for the Great West Road on one side, backwater at the west end of the town. It is by Edward Lapidge 1827-29 and was subject to a major restoration finished in 2016. The area under the gallery is divided off as a hall space.

    
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

Holy Trinity, Brook Green, Hammersmith

A large church at the south end of the attractive Brook Green. It is by William Wardell, 1851-53 with the spire added in 1867 by C.F. Hansom and the west porch added by A.J.C. Scoles in 1872.

                               
   
   
 
   
 
   
   
 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

St Mary, Edith Road, West Kensington

Facing Hammersmith Road between Olympia and Brook Green this is a small church of 1960-61 by Seely and Paget. It replaced a 19th century church badly damaged in WW2

                  
   
 
   
   
   
   
   
   

All Saints, Uxbridge Road, Hanworth

On the eastern side of Hanworth Park. A church by N.F. Cachemaille-Day. The Lady Chapel and baptistery date from 1951-52 (Shown at the end), the main body of the church and circular section were built in 1957. The figurative glass by Goddard & Gibbs is in the Lady Chapel. Cachemaille-Day also designed the Seven Sacraments font.

 

St George (former), High Street, Brentford

A church of 1887 by Arthur Blomfield at the eastern end of the High Street. It closed in 1959 and became a musical museum. This recently moved and the building has now been converted to flats.

     
   
   
   

St Lawrence (former), High Street, Brentford

Disused and derelict at the east end of the town centre. The tower is 15th century, with a nave of 1764 by Thomas Hardwick.

   
   
   
 

St Paul, St Paul’s Road, Brentford

Just behind the main street and the town centre church for Brentford. The original building is of 1868-69 by F & H Francis, but in 1990 the church was rebuilt by Michael Blee Partnership. The tower, spire, south and east walls were retained but a new building was constructed between and to the north of them. The former chancel remains as a side chapel.