Home » Bodley, George Frederick

Category Archives: Bodley, George Frederick

Architects & Places

Make the Pictures Bigger

Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Use the browser back button to return to the post.

St Faith, Windmill Road, Brentford

North of the Roman Catholic church this is a building of 1906-07 by Bodley and Hare.

 
   
   
   
 
 

St Mary, Church End, Hendon

The ancient parish church, well north west of Hendon central station, behind the Middlesex university campus. The nave, chancel, south arcade and north aisle are 13th century, the north chapel is 16th century. In 1914-15 a new south nave with its own south aisle was added in place of the old south aisle. The architect was Temple Moore. The north chapel sanctuary was decorated by Bodley in 1897. The font is a notable Norman piece.

        
   
   
   
 
           
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

St Nicholas, Church Lane, Chislehurst

Set in a spacious churchyard in the old village. It is a 15th century church, enlarged several times in the 19th century. Benjamin Ferrey rebuilt the chancel in 1849 and Bodley and Garner lengthened it in 1896, adding the organ case and reredos. The south aisle is also by Ferrey and the spire was rebuilt taller in 1857 by Wollaston.

 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

St Andrew, Church Lane, Ham

In a rural backwater just off the main part of Ham Common. It was built in 1830-31 and designed by Edward Lapidge. Raphael Brandon added a south aisle in 1860 and Bodley & Garner added the chancel in 1900-01

ham_st_andrew101116_6 ham_st_andrew101116_3
 ham_st_andrew101116_1  ham_st_andrew101116_4
                          ham_st_andrew131116_  ham_st_andrew131116_42
 ham_st_andrew131116_13  ham_st_andrew131116_2
 ham_st_andrew131116_21  ham_st_andrew131116_16
 ham_st_andrew131116_8  ham_st_andrew131116_9
 ham_st_andrew131116_14  ham_st_andrew131116_4
 ham_st_andrew131116_5  ham_st_andrew131116_1
 ham_st_andrew131116_12  ham_st_andrew131116_11
 ham_st_andrew131116_3  ham_st_andrew131116_19
 ham_st_andrew131116_20  ham_st_andrew131116_33
 ham_st_andrew131116_25  ham_st_andrew131116_28
 ham_st_andrew131116_29  ham_st_andrew131116_27
 ham_st_andrew131116_38  ham_st_andrew131116_32

St Mary Magdalene, Paradise Road, Richmond

Hidden away behind shops in the town centre. The tower dates from around 1507 but was encased in flint and stone in 1903-04 when G.F. Bodley added a chancel and eastern chapels to a classical nave and aisles of 1750.  There are many wall monuments and much glass by Burlison and Grylls, Bodley’s favoured firm. The church is undergoing a long-term restoration.

 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_55 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_54
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_53  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_1  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_17
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_31  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_26
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_24  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_36
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_51  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_15
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_28  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_5
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_14  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_13
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_20  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_16
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_9  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_27
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_10  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_21
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_29  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_35
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_34  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_8
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_30  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_32
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_7  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_50
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_42  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_40
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_41  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_43
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_47  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_44
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_46  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_45
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_49  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_48
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_6  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_4
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_39  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_33
 richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_23  richmond_st_mary_magdalene201016_37

Holy Trinity, Prince Consort Road, Kensington

Bodley’s last church, built 1901-1906 and just behind the Royal Albert Hall. He designed the reredos, altar, stalls, font and pulpit. There is also a monument to him designed by E.P. Warren in 1910. The glass is by Burlison & Grylls.

kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_1  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_111
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_108  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_39
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_3  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_13
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_107  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_70
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_4  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_22
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_106  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_103
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_98  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_55
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_18  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_11
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_72  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_12
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_54  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_77
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_61  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_57
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_50  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_52
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_35  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_5
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_9  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_48
 kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_44  kensington_holy_trinity_prince_consort_roadr020316_27

St John the Divine, Vassall Road, Kennington

A landmark a few 100 metres off Brixton Road. It is by G.E. Street 1870-74 with the spire completed 1888-89 under A.E. Street. Internal decoration by G.F. Bodley was added in 1890-92. It was restored, following war damage, by H.S. Goodhart-Rendel in 1955-58

kennington_st_john_the_divine291114_1  kennington_st_john_the_divine291114_5
 kennington_st_john_the_divine291114_13  kennington_st_john_the_divine291114_21
 kennington_st_john_the_divine291114_19  kennington_st_john_the_divine291114_8
 kennington_st_john_the_divine291114_9  kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_8
 kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_32  kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_2
 kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_1  kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_10
 kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_11  kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_12
 kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_6  kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_26
 kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_27  kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_28
 kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_29  kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_36
 kennington_st_john_the_divine051214_15