Home » Ferrey, Benjamin
Category Archives: Ferrey, Benjamin
St Andrew, Southbridge Road, Croydon
All Saints, Royal Parade, Blackheath
A landmark on Blackheath as it is surrounded on all sides by the heath with no separation at all. It was designed by Benjamin Ferrey and built 1857-1867. The porch and vestries were added in 1890 and 1899 by A.W. Blomfield. Many windows were blown out in WW2 leaving a light interior. The screen is a WW1 memorial.
St Nicholas, Church Lane, Chislehurst
Set in a spacious churchyard in the old village. It is a 15th century church, enlarged several times in the 19th century. Benjamin Ferrey rebuilt the chancel in 1849 and Bodley and Garner lengthened it in 1896, adding the organ case and reredos. The south aisle is also by Ferrey and the spire was rebuilt taller in 1857 by Wollaston.
Holy Trinity, Trinity Road, Upper Tooting
Part way up the hill from Tooting Bec towards Wandsworth Common. The church is by Anthony Salvin from 1854-55. The tower and north transept were added by Benjamin Ferrey in 1860. He widened the north aisle in 1889. The south aisle that had been widened in 1893 is now divided off as a hall. The wall paintings of 1906-13 by Richard Castle are awaiting restoration.
St Anne, Kew Green, Kew
This church originated as a small chapel of 1710-1714, it was lengthened and a north aisle added in 1768 by J.J. Kirby. The west front and south aisle came in 1805, designed by Robert Browne. A mausoleum by Benjamin Ferrey was added east of the east end in 1850-51. In 1884 the current east end was added and the south aisle rebuilt by Henry Stock.
Christ Church, Victoria Road, Kensington
St Mary, Church Lane, Merton
The ancient parish church of Merton, it is in a large churchyard in the old village. The exterior was refaced and new aisles (north – Benjamin Ferrey 1856, south – F. Digweed 1856). The core of the building is a Norman nave and 13th-century chancel. The arch into the vicarage is of c.1175 and came from Merton Priory.
St Mark, Hamilton Terrace, St John’s Wood
The nave is by Thomas Cundy II from 1846-47, the spire was completed in 1864 and rebuilt in 1955. The chancel and porches were added by Benjamin Ferrey in 1866-78. The images below are from late 2014. Late on 26 January 2023, the church caught fire (cause unknown) and is currently a burnt-out shell. The remains are stable, but its future is unknown as of January 2023. The set of post-fire images further down, were taken on 31 January 2023.